Ship Travel Diary 1929

 Diary Entry and snapshots saved by Gladys Olive Meacock.
Scanned and assembled into HTML webpage format by Robert Eric Meacock March 2004 as part of his family history project.


Click for music{Click on following photos to enlarge}

Eric's Family History publications 'Shotts to Yeppoon & beyond' Souvenir Edition and 'Ballynamony to Boulder' provide an insight into the KERR and WILLIS family history both of which, along with the MEACOCK family history currently being researched, provide a look at the ancestors of both Gladys Olive and George Eric's parents and their siblings.

Snapshots leading up to & the Wedding on June 1st 1929.
Boulder c.1908  SalmonGums c.1926 
O Kerr & Co c.1927 and c.1928
Wedding Photo   
           Meacock Valley Location 359          Sheep brand

Australia to London June 10 1929

Dear Mother & Dad,

Today starts our most wonderful trip to London. Monday June 10th. A beautiful day & quite a busy one. Quite a number of friends at the Fremantle wharf to see us off. We stood on deck holding streamers while the "Mooltan" pulled out of Fremantle at 5pm. The we found our cosy little cabin 362, & made ourselves comfortable. Dinner was served at 7.45pm after which we enjoyed a dance on ‘B’ Deck.

Tuesday June 11th. The day starts with the dark steward bringing morning tea & fruit. Then bath & breakfast at 8.30am. After a walk round the deck, sports start for the day. Deck Tennis, Quoits, Bucket Quoits & Bull Board, all very interesting for both players and onlookers. We formed a sports committee who invite all passengers to join in all the different games. The fee for the trip as far as Colombo being 10/- for gents and 5/- for Ladies, thus providing the prizes. There are some very fine sports amongst the passengers, from many different parts of the world

I especially enjoy talking with some people from India. Their life out there being so different to ours in Australia. Luncheon is served at 1pm after which we start out matches in the various games. I won twice at quoits and lost badly at bucket quoits. Eric lost at quoits & won once at bucket quoits. Both were beaten at Deck Tennis These games need plenty of practise.

Afternoon tea at 4.30pm then dress for dinner at 7.45pm. After dinner coffee in the music room & perhaps music or bridge whichever we fancy, the we danced again before bed.

Wednesday June 12th We are getting well into tropics & its getting very hot. The passengers and officers are all out in summer clothes. Fans are going all over the boat. I missed my breakfast being a little seasick but one soon gets over that. We are getting to know quite a number of the passengers & are having quite a good time. Each day a sweep is held on the days trip which averages about 390 miles. We take a ticket each day but have had no luck so far. Notices have been put up this afternoon telling us the baths are open for bathing in the well deck forward. Ladies from 5 to 5.30pm. Gents from 7 till 9am. Mixed bathing is not allowed. I lost my third match at quoits after a strenuous game & won one match at Bull Board.

A little about the boat. It is wonderful, every comfort one could possibly need. The cabins are beautifully fitted ours being a two berth cabin with a nice duchess chest with four drawers & a fine little cabinet washstand, wardrobe with hooks to hang up your clothes. Both steward & stewardess to look after us. The dining room is a magnificent room situated in the centre of the boat. Six at each table & a steward to look after each table. Eight course meals are served. Dishes to suit all tastes. The music room is very nice fitted out with a piano small tables & chairs & lounges & easy chairs. Two double writing desks at each end. The bath rooms are beautifully kept & we really enjoy the hot salt water baths in the mornings. A small tub of fresh water is provided to have a wash after the salt water bath. The ship library is open to all & boasts many fine books to interest all tastes. Dinner tonight was very nice, we did not dance afterwards but stayed in the music room reading & as I did not feel well we found bed a favourite place quite early.

Thursday June 13th . Very hot today – we passed the Tropic of Capricorn about 10-30am. The games are keenly contested today & we think tomorrow will see most of the semi finals played. The committee are having a busy time rounding up the different players. This afternoon we saw a huge whale spouting the water quite 20 feet in the air. It appeared to me to be much larger than an elephant & I would liked to have had a closer view. Flying fish are to be seen but so far I have not seen any.

A Fancy Dress Ball is to be held on Saturday night so most of the passengers are busy making Fancy Dresses I do not think I shall bother making one. I would much rather look on & enjoy the music. I don’t think I have mentioned the fine orchestra we have aboard. I believe they are stewards & play voluntarily. However they play well. The usual dance was on after dinner.

Friday June 14th. Thinking of home- how busy you will all be & hoping you got my letter from Fremantle. I am longing for a letter but shall not get one now until we reach England. I omitted to mention on Monday about the lovely telegrams we received on the boat. How delighted we both were. Telegrams from Mother Dad & Gordon, Ad & Will, Bob & Annie, Dollie & Eileen, Dear Old Jack, Mr and Mrs Gatti. A delightful letter from Eric’s father & a nice letter from Mrs Graham. They were all so nice but I must admit I felt homesick. Eric has just written home to his Father & I have written to Annie & Ad & Mrs Gatti & I intend writing quite a lot of letters before we reach Columbo on Tuesday & post them there to catch the next boat outgoing to Australia.

The sea is very smooth today. This is supposed to be the mon-soon trip but so far we have had a splendid trip. Today Eric was beaten again at quoits I was also beaten in the doubles although I had a very good partner in Mr Kye but Mr Egan was too good for us. I won my heat again at Bull Board. The tennis singles was won by Esmie Wolstrop beating Mrs Wright after a heated test. I have a very nice friend on board, a Mrs McRoberts, who with her little son Kenneth is going to Scotland for six months holiday. We are also very friendly with a Mr and Mrs Newson who are from Auckland New Zealand & are going to England and France on a health trip staying only six weeks.

The meals on the boat are lovely. Such delicious fish & fruit & very tastefully served. Preparations are being made for a bridge party to be held in the dining saloon tonight Eric & his partner Mrs Newson beat Mrs Davis & her partner at quoits in the first round of doubles. The afternoon was very warm but during the evening a nice breeze sprung up so we spent the evening on deck.

We passed Cocos Island at 8.30 but being 50 miles away we were unable to see it. The Bridge party ended rather drastically & caused quite a lot of ill feeling.

Saturday June 15th It rained a little & the heat is intense. The deck is favourite this morning. The Boat deck upper is covered in with awnings to keep the sun off & it makes a pleasant sports ground. Boat drill is rather sensational. When the gong rings everyone dashes down to their cabins & puts on their life belts & parades on deck for inspection & instruction in case of emergency. The life belt itself is quite a novel arrangement consisting of two large oblongs of cork covered with canvas. This is placed over your head & drawn tightly under your arms thus keeping your chin well up in the air. The matches are quite novel, the box is fully 3 x 2 x 1 & the matches like small mallee trees. This one is a sample.

We get the wireless news each day which helps to keep the passengers in touch with the doings of the outside world.

Eric & his partner were beaten at Deck Quoits today in the semi final. I beat Mrs Newson at Bull Board in the semi-final & played Esmie Woolstrop in the final. After a very close game which I had won but through an error by the umpire he gave the game against me & after a dispute we played again & the same thing happened so they decided we both should receive a prize. We put in the afternoon on deck writing letters as it was very hot. The fancy dress ball was a huge success. One would wonder how on earth so many pretty costumes could be arranged. The judges had a very hard job in selecting for the prizes. The best fancy dress made on board was won by Mrs Lamb, it was a pink paper frock early victorian & well deserved a prize. The best fancy dress bought on board (I omitted to tell you our ships barber has an old curiosity shop where one can purchase anything from a mintee to a fancy dress) was won by Esmie Woolstrop (Indian). The dressed gent was a tall fair man dressed as a fairy who looked well. A special prize was given to an artist & the most original couple was a pair of New Zealanders dressed as Down & Out. These two took their parts well & caused quite a lot of fun. The dancing was kept up till 12 midnight & at 10-30 a delightful supper was served. Wine Claret cup or anything you fancied was available & ice cream to finish up. The ballroom was arranged on ‘A’ Deck – tastefully decorated with flags & coloured lights.

Sunday June 16th Still very hot & tropical rain. Service was held in first saloon at 11-30 & lasted half an hour. The Captain gave the sermon & a few hymns were sung. We passed the morning on deck reading & enjoying the breeze off the sea. We pass the ‘Ormandi’ outgoing to Australia today & lettergrams may be sent to be posted in Fremantle costing 5/- for 20 words. We are not sending one as we are able to post our home letters at Colombo on Tuesday & they will arrive in Australia nearly as soon as the ‘Ormandi’. The finals in Deck Coit doubles are being played this afternoon. This finishes the tournaments before Colombo. The tennis doubles were cut out as it is far too hot to play tennis. There is to be a concert on Monday night at which the prizes are to be presented. The deck quoits finals were indeed very interesting after a strenuous game Miss Collins & her partner beat Mrs Woolstrop & Mr Newson. The evening we spent on deck conversing with some friends.

Monday June 17th Very hot again today. We crossed the equator at 10-30 so expect in a few days we will have a bit cooler weather again. I put in the morning doing our bit of washing which is now strung up in the cabin to dry. There is an electric iron for the passengers use so we are able to keep our togs in order. There is a lovely breeze on deck so we are going to put in the afternoon there. Tomorrow we reach Colombo but ‘tis rumoured we arrive at night & leave early in the morning hence we will all be disappointed but all are hoping it is not true. This morning I had a long conversation with a gentleman from Taranaki, he is a big storekeeper there and was indeed very interesting relating the different methods & conditions in New Zealand. He was keenly interested in conditions of Western Australia. The concert was a great financial success the collection being £11.12.6. The musical part was very poor. One very good item was given by Steffne Desti the famous dancer who played in ‘Rose Marie’. She is really wonderful at her native dancing & a perfect elocutionist. The evening wound up with a dance.

Tuesday June 18th Annie’s birthday. We both send her every good wish. It’s still very hot. We had a queer experience this morning the ship ran right into a hurricane. Deck chairs & all sorts went flying & the rain was terrific. Early this morning a big wave came over one of the decks & many of the cabins were swamped. Childrens sports were held on deck this morning we had quite a lot of fun watching them. Each child was presented with a trophy.

We sighted land about 11-30 & are now slowing going up the coast. We have passed two big ships. I took a snap but think we were too far away. We expect to arrive at Colombo at 7pm So dinner is being served an hour earlier to enable us to go ashore for the evening.

This ends my diary up todate as I am posting tonight at Colombo. The mail leaves for Australia by the ‘Naldua’ on Sunday next. You should receive this by next Friday week….

Cheerio Olive & Eric.



Colombo. Wednesday 19th June. Last night we went ashore at 8 oclock on the P & O motor launch. The jetty is about a mile away from the boat. The jetty is two stories high and is quite an interesting place with the money changers and customs officers and all the weird people about. Immediately we went ashore the black fellows swarm around you, I might add I was quite afraid at first. Everywhere you look there are black fellows with their hands out wanting to sell you things. We went along to the Post Office & posted our letters & after walking around for a while went to the G.O.H. & had an ice drink & then got in a little rowing boat & got back to the ship to bed. The boat is swarmed with those wretched natives dressed in the most weird fashions. Mostly all are naked with only a cloth wrapped around their waists & draping their legs. They are awful cowards as I soon found out. This morning when we went ashore I was quite as brave as anyone ordering the natives off. We visited many of the curio shops & silk shops. Beautiful silk garments delightfully embroidered are very cheap & of course one can bargain them down & get nice things for a mere song. I hope to be able to purchase a few nice things on our return journey. It is very hot in Colombo & the men wear short trousers & large hats. After we had looked at the shops we got into Rickshaws & went for a delightful drive along the promenade to the Galle Face hotel which is a beautiful hotel situated on the sea front with large grounds all grass & flowers. After having a cool drink we set out again to return through the native quarter, Oh! Dear such a place. Tiny hovels all cramped together & the filthy way they live, curry and rice being the chief food. I suppose our drive lasted 1½ hours & cost 1 rupee (1/6). Then we made our way back to the boat as it sailed again at 12 noon. All around the ship small boats full of weird curios are anchored, bargaining with the passengers, they throw a rope up to the deck & when anyone pays a price they put the article in a small bag & people pull it up & put the money in and send it back. Just as the boat is going you can get things for very little.

Quite a lot of people got off at Colombo a few more got on. We have three nice people at out table. The afternoon was very hot so we slept on deck most of the time. The natives at Colombo carry a grass mat & cushion with them & lay down in the street or in a doorstep to sleep just when they have a mind too. The usual dance was held after dinner.

Thursday 20th Still very hot. Everybody is just sitting about on deck as it is far too hot to even play games. The usual dance was held but not many patronized it. The cabins are very hot and stuffy & we cant sleep too well. Friday 21st dreadfully hot. We sighted land early this morning & all day sailed along the coast of India. The sea is very rough we get to Bombay at 2am tomorrow morning. Quite a cool breeze came up this evening so we all enjoyed the dance after dinner.

Saturday 22nd At Bombay against the wharf this morning. The big P & O buildings are nice all along the wharf. We went ashore about 9.30 as the rain was terrific up till then. Such a weird place & dirt I have never experienced the likes. Crowds of filthy natives are all over the ship, why they are allowed on board I don’t know. Our crew & most of the stewards are changed here. Our table and bath steward came along for a tip as they were leaving. We got a car & went to the Post Office and posted our letters by this time the rain had stopped. We then got a guide from Cook’s & walked all through some of the place. We thought Colombo was a dirty place but it is nothing to Bombay. The filth is dreadful. The old carts driven with bullocks & these animals are tied up at the door. Poor starved looking creatures & the children are quite naked playing in the streets. The smell of the whole place is disgusting. After we had left the native part we saw many beautiful buildings out a little bit. We went to the Majestic Hotel & had a drink, then we got into a queer sort of chariot & drove back to the wharf. On arrival there everyone had to be examined by the Dr & get a certificate to go back to the ship. It was rather a farce as we just walked into a room, gave our names & were handed the certificate. There was great excitement before the boat went out as the ex King Ananalla & his party came on board, as you know he has been kicked out of Afganastan & they are now going to Italy. The Queen was brought on board on a stretcher as she has a baby 2 weeks old. The deck was covered with flowers. The boat sailed again at 12 noon. The boat reeks now with natives more than half the passengers are dark people. Everyone is complaining & most of the people who are returning to Australia intend changing over from the P & O boats, we intend too. The food is not so good. The meals for the last week are awful and the smell of natives & their incense is enough to make anyone tired of the trip. We took some nice snaps at Colombo & they turned out very good. I will send them home later we also have a few of Bombay. The usual dance ended the day again.

Sunday 23rd Dreadfully hot & very rough most people are feeling off colour. Spent a very quiet day on deck , church conducted by the Captain at 11.30. The evening we spend on Deck walking around in the breeze. Monday 24th Mothers Birthday also Eric’s mother. We wish you both the Happiest of birthdays & drank your health. Its dreadfully hot I have been very sick more than half the passengers are down to it. I went to bed at lunch time and stayed there. The stewardess brought me down some fish for dinner. Eric went up on deck after dinner for awhile as it was so hot.

Tuesday 25th Still hot. I put the day in very quietly after breakfast came up on deck & had meals up there. Some of the passengers have obtained permission to sleep on deck as the seas are so high on one side of the ship the port holes are not allowed to be open. We are very fortunate in having a deck cabin & have not had the porthole closed at all. The weather is awfully rough the boat tosses and plunges dreadfully. Some of the passengers are quite frightened. After tomorrow we do not expect to have any more rough weather for the rest of the trip. A new sports committee have been formed today so I suppose the sports will commence again on Thursday. We passed Secootra Island today about 1.30 but were too far away to see it. We also passed two boats bound for Aden. The evening is cool & a nice breeze blowing so the dance was well patronised by nearly everybody.

Wednesday 26th Much calmer today . The sea is just like a millpond. It hardly seems possible after being so rough yesterday. The breeze is just lovely. I am feeling quite fit again now and am always hungry. Sports are in full swing. Everybody feels the benefit of the cool breeze after the heat. We expect to arrive at Aden at 10am tomorrow. Then we have the Red Sea & dreadful heat again. I do not mind so long as its not rough. Two more weeks on Friday & we shall be in London. We have been asked to join a party tomorrow to go & see the famous Queen of Sheba Tanks. They say no one knows who built them. We are only staying a few hours there Mr & Mrs Robert have been very seasick but are better again & put in an appearance at lunch today. I am going to do some washing today as it will be too hot for the next week. The washing dried as quickly as I did it so I got the ironing done as well. The usual dance after dinner ended the day.

Thursday 27th Dreadful heat. Fortunately we were on the windy side and had a breeze in our cabin all night, so slept pretty well. About 9.15 we came in sight of land & followed the coast up, such huge barren rocks gives one the appearance of being an old volcanic eruption. We sighted Aden about 10.15. Quite a pretty sight to see a town built on rocks. Rumour had it there was an epidemic of smallpox & no one was allowed ashore but we soon found out it wasn’t right. Everyone had to wear big hats & sunshades. We had quite a gay little party, we went ashore about 10.45 in a motor launch. At the jetty you had to change your Australian money into English money & they charge 1/6 exchange on a £1. The boat fare is 9d each. We then got two cars as they are only licenced to carry 4 passengers each and set out to see the Queen of Sheba Tanks. We went through many strange parts & it was very interesting to see the different ways of living. Most of the people are Arabs. We passed a Jewish cemetery & a Mohammed cemetery. Then up very high through a tunnel & eventually reached the tanks about 7 miles out. They are a wonderful sight. It appears they were found about 100 years ago and no one seems to know who built them. It has not rained at Aden for four years, men were drawing water from wells up in the rocks & work all day & only have one day off a month for 2 rupees(3/-) per month. After we left the tanks we went back to the town & out the other way to the gardens. We passed the military quarters and the new aerodrome also saw the old forts where the Turks fought the British. We saw the military cemetery & finally after going round the desert came to the gardens. They were not much to see but the very idea of anything being green makes one wonder. Then we returned to the boat for lunch & afterwards had a sleep until afternoon tea. We went ashore again at 5 o’clock and had a look at the shops. Feathers seem to be their chief selling goods. We saw many lovely feather fans, quite cheap also silk shawls, I got two very nice ones quite cheap. Money seems to be so scarce they do not like to see people go away without buying therefor they will give you things for anything you like to offer them. We had a drink at the Grand Hotel and then came back to the boat to dinner. The boat was due to sail at 10pm but on account of the monsoons the china boat with the mails was a day late, we did not leave until 4am the next morning.

Friday June 28th Still dreadfully hot. Everyone is talking of their bargains of yesterday. Games are in full swing and as usual the committee are all quarrelling amongst themselves. A lot more people got on at Aden so we are well tired of natives. There are hundreds of them on board. The sea is very calm again now. The usual dance ended the day.

Saturday 29th Still in the Red Sea very hot played games all day & bridge on deck in the evening.

Sunday June 30th Dreadfully hot. We have passed several ships this morning. Church at 11 o’clock. When we came up from dinner there was a notice on the board saying all games were suspended as a death had occurred in first class. A Mr Atkinson from New Zealand died of sunstroke. He was an old man and his son was on board. The burial took place at 6.30. It was a gruesome sight and cast quite a gloom over the whole ship. The officer was telling us it’s a strange thing almost every trip they have either a death or a storm in the same place in the Red Sea. We played bridge again after dinner.

Monday July 1st The heat is not quite so bad now we get to Port Suez at 3 o’clock. Played games all the morning and had fairly good luck. I won Bull Board and got 15/- for prize. Played in the final of Bucket Quoits but got beaten on the post. Eric is still in Tennis doubles and Coit doubles. He is getting on well. Port Suez is rather a pretty place all along the promanade is grass and nice buildings. We anchored out and no one was allowed ashore. We entered the canal about 5 o’clock. Its really wonderful. They say it took five years to build. There is just enough room for one boat to pass at a time strange to say it is just the same as I dreamt about it. One could throw a stone to the shore from the boat. Such desert quite barren and just a few camels, elephants to be seen now and again. They are working on the canal, making it wider. The ship goes very slowly and as far back as you can see there are ships following. 
Tuesday July 2nd We arrived at Port Said about 8.30, such a change in the weather. Its quite cool. We were able to go ashore at 9 o’clock. The sun was a bit hot otherwise we spent a pleasant day. We got a guide cost 2/- for a party and went round the town. Went to a few shops and watched the passengers driving a few bargains. Things are very cheap in Egypt. As the boat is a day late people were not able to go to Cairo & the pyramids. Then we went to the Mosque & before we were able to enter we had to put big basket affairs over our shoes. There were a lot of Mohammed’s in there praying while we went through. Then we drove through the native quarter. All the married women are dressed in black & their faces covered, only their eyes showing. The children are all dressed, on the whole they are much more civilized than at Aden or Bombay. Afterwards we went to the Casino it’s a wonderful place, very swanky. The boat sailed at 2 o’clock. All around the boat small canoes push and shove each other to get near the ship, they are laden with all sorts of curios of every description & they are driving bargains with the passengers until the boat sails.

There are quite a lot of conjurers about Port Said, two clever chaps were aboard for awhile & amused us for quite half an hour. Another 250 passengers came aboard at Port Said. We are fairly packed together. We have two sittings for meals. Quite a number of people are getting off at Marseilles & going to London by train across France. The usual dance ended the day.

Wednesday July 3rd. Quite a nice day with a lovely fresh breeze blowing

& a calm sea. We are full speed ahead in the Mediterranean sea, we should be at Italy tomorrow. A week on Friday we shall be in London. The games are nearing an end now. Eric was beaten in the semi-finals of Deck Quoits but still has his tennis to play. A fancy dress ball again tonight. Everyone is busy getting a costume ready. Children’s sports tomorrow. Owing to the 1st class having a ball our ball was not the success of the previous one although quite a lot of nice costumes were made. Mrs Lamb wore that dress again, won first prize & Mrs Wright as a nun. Mr Wright as ‘The absent minded professor’ both original prizes. A gentleman as ‘Early Victorian’ gained first in the gents. The dancing was rather crowded as there are so many passengers. I believe including crew there are 820 on board.

Thursday July 4th. Quite a nice cool day again and a calm sea. We pass the Straits of Messina tonight and reach Marseilles on Saturday morning. The children’s sports were good fun this morning. Then we had a tug of war, Australia pulled Port Said & pulled them well away. Then the ladies had a pull but ended up rather tragically, Mrs Collins was pulled over & hurt her back but we hope its nothing serious. The usual dance was held at night.

Friday July 5th another nice day again. We saw the city of Messina at 2.30 & Mt Etna in eruption, it was a wonderful sight to see, the reflection & glow in the water all around. Then at 5 o’clock we passed Stromboli. It appeared to be a huge smoking mountain out in the middle of the sea as the sun was up we could not see it to full advantage. There is a city at the foot of Stromboli of 4,000 people, the place is noted for wines. The morning passed pleasantly on deck all were interested in a sweep on stepping a chain on deck. This was won by an Indian chap in the gents & Mrs Vass the ladies. We slept all the afternoon & played bridge at night.

Saturday 5th A delightful day. We could see land all the morning, the coast of France & arrived at Marseilles at 3 o’clock. It is a very big port & there were hundreds of boats in port. We were over an hour before we were able to go ashore. Quite a lot of passengers left the boat here & went overland arriving in London on Sunday. It was quite amusing to see the customs people going through the boxes. All the mail was taken off & taken overland. We went ashore & got into a tram & went up to the city. It is much the nicest place we have been in yet. The French people are short fat people, the women rather pretty, such easy going people & very polite. The drink and meals are served out in the street in such a queer fashion. We had to get our money changed into francs each franc is worth 2d in our money, so I was rather amused counting up the cost of things. After we had walked for awhile we took a taxi and drove all around to see the sights. 1 hour cost 40 francs which is very cheap when you have a party of 6 people. The drive was very interesting afterwards we had dinner at the ‘Ragenou’ which was very nice & quite a change from boat food. Then we went to the pictures & variety show. We quite enjoyed ourselves.

Sunday July 7th . We sailed this morning at 4 oc. And put in a very quiet day. It was very cold so the decks were quite deserted.

Monday July 8th. Much warmer again today. We enjoyed deck games all the morning & slept in the afternoon & played bridge after dinner.

Tuesday July 9th. Arrived at Gibraltar this morning at 7oc. It’s a beautiful sight, pulling in, such a huge rock with a city built on it. We were able to go ashore at 8.30 on a launch, we walked from the jetty to the town & saw many wonderful sights. Mostly donkeys & mules are used here for transport. Things are very cheap at Gibraltar especially cigs and cigars. The curio shops are very interesting. Some of the people went a drive right to the top of the rock. We hope to go on our way home. We sailed again at 11.30. We purchased lovely fruit at Gibraltar (plums, apricots, peaches, strawberries & all sorts). They were a treat too as we have had awful fruit all the way. The hawkers were all around the boat again with their bargains. We played quoits during the afternoon & after dinner danced for a change.

Wednesday quite cool again, everyone is out in winter togs & overcoats. We are all eagerly looking forward to getting to London 8oc. Saturday morning. We played games for awhile then went to the music room & joined in the singing this afternoon. After dinner we enjoyed a game of bridge in the music room.

Thursday 11th. Another lovely day, I wrote some letters this morning and at 10 o’clock a singing competition was held and Eric won the gents prize & got a sovereign. I lost the ladies by one vote. We had a good mornings entertainment. Spent the afternoon packing up ready for landing. We arrive at Plymouth tomorrow morning. After dinner we danced for awhile & then spent the rest of the evening in the music room.

Friday July 12th. All hands were on deck very early to get the first look at dear old England. Such a pretty sight I have never seen. The day is beautiful & the green fields are all one would desire to see. We arrived at Plymouth at 8.30 but did not go in. The passengers who left the boat here were taken ashore in a small boat. We only stayed about an hour. It’s very smooth in the English Channel. We have seen the fleet cruising about & quite a lot of ships have passed on their way out. There is great excitement now we are nearly at our journey’s end. Tomorrow we arrive at London at 7.30. We had a letter from Eric’s father today asuring us they would be meeting us tomorrow morning also a nice letter from Mrs Grahams brother saying he was sorry he would not be able to meet us as he intended as they were moving & he invited us to go and stay a weekend with them before we return to Australia. We have some very nice friends on board & parting tomorrow I wonder if we shall ever strike them again. The luggage is all packed & up on the boat deck ready for landing in the morning. We have to go through the customs & go on the P & O special train to Liverpool Street Station. Cheerio from the Mooltan

…Eric & Olive
That is where my mothers letter writing of the trip ends, however, I have put together some details of their travels in UK prior to return to Australia again on the "Mooltan" to resume farming on property "Meacock Valley" in the Circle Valley area.
(Click to enlarge)
 Olive in Garden & Kingsmore
Note: 'Kingsmore' a combination name from the two original family homes 'Lorimore' and 'Kingsley Villa' both located in Newport Mon.UK
Camping on tour and the car and trailer used.
Postcards of Gretna Green & photo Mr/Mrs W & Mr/Mrs G E Meacock
Bowder Stone 1929 Lakes District & Eric Meacock there in 1981 
Derwent Water..Hotels used in August'29(It wasnt all camping!) Lodore    

Pitlochry , Oban Scotland, Ross's Hotel Loch Long
Royal Oak Inn Fox Hunt ...Tunbridge Wells Dam
  After their return to 'Meacock Valley' Circle Valley WA Olive won prizes at the Salmon Gums show for home made butter and other products and Young Eric was born in April 1930. However after initial good yeilds from the farm, crops began to fail and it was found that the land was too poor to sustain continual farming, given the agricultural practices of the time. With the depression years upon them they walked off the property , the lease being forfeited 18th June 1932. George Eric took up a position diamond drilling in the goldmining industry Kalgoorlie, Frank Weston who owned the company was an old friend of Walter Meacock in UK. July 1932 saw the birth in Kalgoorlie of second son Walter.
 100 Lyall Street
'Kingsmore'named after family home in UK .
Note the size of the Palm Trees in the second photo taken 2002 compared with the 1932 one.
Walter & Eric c.1935   Diamond Drilling Boulder Block c.1936  
Family Car c.1934.Tom Buller + Eric & Walter 'Lauraville' Cowaramup c.1935
George Eric also bought a single seater "Bluebird" car, with dickie seat, but was unpopular with family for having a second car and he soon got rid of it. 
Snapshots sent out from UK by Uncle Stan (photo with Hazel) in the early 1930's. Group endorsed by Uncle Stan as "Wife white hat, Hazel, Wife's sister and husband.Identified by Ann Tyrrell as Aunt Eve, Peg & Basil Timmis. Portland 1931 (Hazel)
If not on line use BACK button on browser